Friday, January 13, 2017

Trust me I am lying by Mary Elizabeth Summer



This is another book I had marked on my Kindle to read list from the library. An added bonus for me to read it was the author lives in my hometown of Portland, Oregon. I am all about supporting local authors. Another thing that caught my eye is the cover art to this. I am a very visual person and if a book has a cover that catches my eye then I will look at it. 

Julep Dupree has learned the family business of being a con artist. All of which she had learned from her loving father. Thanks to his instance of her going to school where she can learn how to blend in with the rich, she is currently attending St. Agatha High School. Juelp has secrets. Lots of them from everyone. One is that her real name is not Juelp. Only her dad, her and her mom who left them when she was very little know her real name. Another secret is she has dreams of leaving the family business and making a real life for herself. This means going to St. Agatha and getting good grades to get into Yale. While getting to know Juelp and her style of talking and explaining things it reminded me of Veronica Mars. The same type narrative I experience from the show. Which help me enjoy this book. It reminded me of the show in other ways. From the friend who is great at techie stuff ( her best friend Sam) to the friends she makes along the way without realizing it. When Juelp realizes her day had been taken by someone she starts following the clues he left behind for her. She starts calling in favors from kids from school that she has helped before. This book is a quick read and enjoyable. The mystery is easy to figure out but there is a lot of action and some heart breaking parts. I enjoyed it enough to want to read more of the book series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment