Wednesday, January 11, 2017

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl by Gretchen McNeil




 I was having one of those nights where I could not sleep. So I went out on the couch and tried to sleep there in hopes it would be more comfortable. Sleep however eluded me, so what do I do when this happens? I find a book to read of course! Okay sometimes I fall down the rabbit hole of Pinterest but not this time. I have this list of books I want to borrow from the Library on my kindle. The title totally caught my eye. So I added it to my list to read some time. Well the time had come my dear friends.

Beatrice is a math nut and has great plans of getting early acceptance into MIT. At school she is only known by the name Math girl. Luckily she has two great best friends whom she had bonded with the start of school back in their freshman year. There is Gabe who is gay and had a tendency to run his mouth at the worst times and there is Spencer. Spencer is a sweet guy who is a very talented artist being raised by his moms. Even though the three have been bullied all of high school Bea has high hopes for Senior year. Bea has a boyfriend to start off the new school year with. First she must introduce Jessie to Spencer and Gabe. A small spoiler is coming up so just a warning. Its nothing you won't figure out in the first 5 chapters yourself though. Once the three guys are introduced you can tell Spencer is unhappy. Then Gabe sings "I wish I had a girl like that." Let me tell you I started laughing out loud. If you don't know the song jessie's girl. Then go listen to it. This song is referenced a few times and I thought it was great.
When Gabe almost gets beat up at school Bea decides to use her brain and come up with a formula to reinvent her and the boys. It works well for the boys but not to well for her. When Jess dumps her for a manic pixie dream girl Beau uses the formula to turn into one herself. It works great. Maybe a little to well.
This book gave me a lot of laughs. I thought Bea constant math was going to drive me in crazy. With the constant putting things into percentages but it worked really well with her character. This book is about trying to change yourself for the wrong reason but realizing maybe change is a good and that you should be happy with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment